John N. Shaw Award
Project Boards for 2020, 2021 AND 2022 will be displayed at the 2022 regional conference in Kansas City, MO.
The MWGL John Shaw Award is a regional architectural design competition intended to showcase good design that results from collaboration with educators, students, and community representatives.
The electronic portfolio and the application forms must be submitted in electronic format. Entrants will complete and submit all application and corresponding materials to Donna Robinson
to download the John N. Shaw Award Application
Deadline: December 31, 2021 by 5:00 pm Central
You must register your project online.
$150 per project (includes 2 panels)
$50 each additional panel per project
The entry fee is due by the submission deadline, December 31, 2021. Please make check payable to A4LE MWGL Region and indicate that the check is for the John Shaw Award entry fee.
Checks must be sent to:
Association for Learning Environments John Shaw Award Submission
Attn: Donna Robinson
11445 E. Via Linda, Ste. 2-440
Scottsdale, Arizona 85259
The MWGL Region seeks applicants who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The Architect of Record, the Engineer of Record and/or the Educational Facility Planner must be a member in good standing of the Association for Learning Environments and a member of the MWGL Region.
- The project must have been constructed in one of the following locations: States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, or the province of Ontario, Canada.
- Projects to be considered are those that have been completed within two (2) years preceding the submittal.
The submission consists of three parts:
- Online registration of the project
- The application forms and the electronic portfolio
- The Exhibit Display Boards
The electronic portfolio requirements will be accepted by electronic transmittal to Donna Robinson, CMM, CMP
, no later than 5:00 pm on December 31, 2021
|Call for Entries
||September 13, 2021
|Deadline for Submittals
||December 31, 2021
||January 31, 2022
||Regional Conference in Kansas City, MO
John Shaw Award Selection Criteria
Selection of John Shaw Award recipient will take into account the following criteria. The criteria will not fit all entries in the same way, but will form a sound basis for judging.
The criteria are:
- Clarity of organization, from site planning to school planning
- Order in the design solution
- Expression and representation
- Conformity and contrast
- Structure, environment services and energy use
- Flexibility and adaptability
In addition to aforementioned, the evaluation will also consider the following:
- A thorough and comprehensive planning process
- Development of a comprehensive educational specification and/or program of requirements
The John Shaw Award will be presented for the project that exhibits the highest degree of excellence in both planning and design.
The judging for the John N. Shaw Award will be based exclusively on the information contained in the Electronic Portfolio. The Display Boards are for exhibition only and should not influence the selection of the winner.
Electronic Portfolio Requirements
Project Narrative (400 Words Total)
- Project description clearly stating the educational vision
- Planning process identifying programming process or educational specifications development
- How the planning and educational vision is evident in the design solution
- Special challenges faced and solutions provided
- Cost effectiveness and matching the solution to community resources
- “Green” features of the design
- How does the project advance the development or awareness of effective/innovative learning environments
- Site plan
- Floor plans and sections (maximum 8.5” x 11”)
Project Photographs: (Color)
- 3 to 4 photos of interior and exterior
- Before and after photos for renovation projects
Submit in electronic (PDF) format by email to [email protected]
Display Board Requirements
Panel Display Format:
- Plans: Site plan, floor plan, and one or more sections or elevations should be shown legibly and accurately at scale, with numerical and graphic indication of scale. Reproductions of working drawings are not acceptable. Lettering should be kept at a minimum and be large enough for exhibit viewing.
- Photographs: It is important that a majority of photographs include teaching areas and preferably contain people to help jury members with scale. Only one exterior photograph is required. It is better to have a greater number of smaller pictures rather than two large photographs. Rendered elevations or perspectives may be used but not substituted for photographs.
- Mounts: All entries shall be two dimensional and exhibited on a minimum of two and a maximum of four, 20” x 20” x 1/2” foam board mounts.
Composition of individual mounts shall be at the discretion of the entrant, provided that mandatory requirements are met. Permanent-type adhesive should be used to attach plans and photographs to mounts. Names of design firms may appear on drawings, photographs,
or other materials to be judged. Lettering should be kept at a minimum and be large enough for exhibit viewing.
- Project Identification Sheet: Entrants will complete the Project Identification Sheet (enclosed) which requests the architect, name and location of project, name of owner (superintendent or primary owner contact and school division/district), name of design consultants, name of contractor(s), and name of photographer. This information will be used by the MWGL exactly as provided to recognize the project. The Project Identification Sheet shall be placed in an envelope and attached to the back of one of the mounts.
- Panels are to be sent directly to the conference hotel with clearly marked packaging for A4LE Midwest Great Lakes Conference. Name of hotel, address, and delivery will be provided once submission deadline and applicable fees have been met.
- Board to arrive no sooner than February 25 and no later than February 27, 2022.
Kansas City Marriot Downtown
c/o A4LE Conference, Donna Robinson
February 28-March 2, 2022
200 West 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
- Supervision and Services: The exhibit committee reserves the right to assign exhibit space and to withhold from exhibition entries deemed to be unsuitable for display. Adequate general illumination will be provided; no special individual lighting or displays will be permitted.
- Return of Panels: Applicants will be responsible to pick up their display panels at the end of the conference. All boards not picked up will be discarded.
- Completed Application Form (Attachment 1)
- Completed Project Information Form (Attachment 2)
- Completed Project Information Form (Attachment 3)
- Additional Relevant Information directly related to the submitted project